Switzerland travel is something everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime. I fell in love with Switzerland on my very first visit over 30 years ago and it’s a country I return to at every opportunity.
Everywhere you look in Switzerland, beauty is all around you. From towering mountain peaks that are snow-capped even in summer, to crystal clear lakes, well-preserved medieval cities, lush alpine pastures and charming villages, Switzerland has it all.
I adore Switzerland and I really hope you will visit and fall in love with Switzerland too!
To help you get started planning a trip to Switzerland keep reading to find lots of information on things to do in Switzerland and the best places to visit in Switzerland.
Need suggestions for your Switzerland travel itinerary? I’ve got that covered, along with Switzerland travel tips and handy things to know if you plan to visit Switzerland in winter or experience a white Christmas in Switzerland.
Ok, so let’s get your Switzerland vacation planning underway!
Do you have questions about your upcoming trip to Switzerland? Join my Switzerland Travel Planning Facebook Group where you can ask questions about your travels. Click here to join.
Swiss Rail Passes
A really convenient way to travel around Switzerland is by train and there are numerous rail passes that cover transport on trains and buses as well as offering discounts or free travel on mountain excursions, lake cruises and museum entry. You’ll find detailed articles on some of the most popular and best value Switzerland rail passes below.
- The Ultimate Guide to the Swiss Travel Pass – Everything you need to know about the Swiss Travel Pass
- The Ultimate Guide to the Jungfrau Travel Pass – If you plan on spending a few days in the Jungfrau region, it’s worth considering purchasing this all-inclusive travel pass
- Regional Pass Berner Oberland: Your guide to this all-inclusive Swiss travel pass – Another transport pass that covers the whole Bernese Oberland region, including Jungfraujoch
Where to go in Switzerland
Deciding exactly where to spend your Switzerland holidays can be hard as there are so many beautiful towns and villages to discover. It will also depend on what style of holiday you are looking for.
The best places in Switzerland to spend Christmas may be different to those that you head for to go summer hiking when you visit the Swiss Alps, for instance.
To help you determine the best places to go in Switzerland, you’ll find some suggestions in my blog articles below.
Cities in Switzerland
Which are the best cities to visit in Switzerland? I love:
- Lucerne – Famous for its medieval covered wooden bridge and the nearby peaks of Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Titlis and Mt. Rigi, Lucerne is a beautiful city which makes a perfect base for exploring further.
- Bern – The Swiss capital is a friendly city built in a bend of the River Aare. A definite must-see is the Zytglogge.
- Zurich – If you are flying into Switzerland, Zurich will probably be your gateway to the country. Allow time to explore the Old Town, the twin towered cathedral and wander along the River Limmat which flows into Lake Zurich.
- Geneva – This cosmopolitan city on the border with France is situated on the shores of Lake Geneva and within easy reach of some stunning alpine resorts.
- Montreux – One of the most beautiful towns on the Swiss Riviera, Montreux enjoys a mild climate and offers plenty for the visitor to see and do.
Towns and villages in Switzerland
To really appreciate the spectacular scenery the country has to offer you need to leave the cities and head to the countryside. It’s here you can breathe in the crisp alpine air, walk amongst lush fields and enjoy a look at what life in a smaller Swiss town is really like.
There are so many charming towns to visit it can be hard to choose where to visit in Switzerland so hopefully I can help!
- Lauterbrunnen – One of my favourite places to go in Switzerland, this beautiful village also happens to be the starting point for some of the top things to do in Switzerland
- Interlaken – Perfectly located between two sparkling lakes and at the foot of the Swiss Alps
- Grindelwald – This popular resort town offers a host of fun things to do all year round but particularly during the warmer months
- Lake Thun – Take a cruise on Lake Thun and stop off at the lovely town of Spiez, Oberhofen Castle and then stroll around Thun
- Zermatt – Views of the mighty Matterhorn will take your breath away
- Appenzell – For a look at rural Switzerland at its finest, head to Appenzell
- Gruyeres – Chocolate, cheese and castles are the theme of any visit to this charming Swiss town
- Lake Maggiore – the Italian-speaking region of Switzerland offers a Mediterranean climate, stunning natural beauty and pretty, vibrant lakeside towns.
Switzerland travel itinerary ideas
Your Switzerland itinerary will largely depend on how long you plan to spend in the country and whether you prefer to visit cities or smaller towns and villages (or a combination of both), as well as your mode of transport.
The following itineraries are a good starting point and can be shortened or lengthened to suit your needs.
- The Grand Train Tour of Switzerland – Sit back and relax whilst enjoying 14 days travelling on some of Switzerland’s most scenic train routes
- The Grand Tour of Switzerland by car – Experience a road trip and enjoy the freedom to get off the beaten path and travel at your own pace
- A gourmet food and wine tour along Switzerland’s Dream Routes – Enjoy breathtaking scenery and delicious food and wine as you discover Switzerland
- European winter itineraries (by car and train) – Suggested rail and road itineraries for visiting Switzerland in winter
Winter holidays and Christmas in Switzerland
- Where to spend Christmas in Switzerland – With its picture perfect scenery and centuries old traditions, Switzerland is one of the best places to enjoy a white Christmas
- The Jungfrau Region. The perfect winter destination – The Jungfrau region offers some of the best skiing in Switzerland but there are a host of things to do in winter for both skiers and non-skiers.
- Best resorts for skiing in Switzerland – Tips for choosing the best Swiss ski resort for your vacation
More Switzerland travel suggestions
- Unique places to stay in Switzerland – Forget boring hotels, why not stay in a wine barrel, a yurt or a Benedictine monastery?
- Four Swiss towns you should include in your itinerary – At least one of these four towns should be included in your Switzerland itinerary
- Switzerland for hiking and cycling holidays – What better way is there to enjoy Switzerland’s natural beauty than by bike or on foot?
- 6 of the best day trips from Zurich – Escape the city on one of these fabulous excursions from Zurich